Description: General Accounting and Reporting Manager
(Administrator II) Compensation and Benefits
The Anticipated Hiring Salary is $100,000 - $125,000 per year and is competitive and negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here .Job Summary
Under the general direction of the University Controller, the General Accounting and Reporting Manager is responsible for planning, managing, and monitoring the work performed by the General Accounting and Financial Reporting units within Accounting Services. The General Accounting and Reporting Manager is primarily responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of all University financial records, transactions, responses to financial audits, the preparation of financial statements, related tax reporting functions and compliance with all accounting related policies, regulations, and pronouncements. This position has direct oversight of Financial Reporting and is responsible for managing the University's GAAP reporting and audit process and performance of the associated tasks that comply with GAAP and GASB pronouncements, including the review and integration of auxiliary data. This position supervises the General Accounting and Financial Reporting staff.Key Qualifications
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply GASB, GAAP, SCO and related Federal and State laws, rules, regulations.
- Knowledge of complex financial software, computer office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, and software packages. (Microsoft Office Suite, Google apps,).
- Knowledge of daily accounting operations, governmental accounting and internal control methods.
- Comprehensive knowledge of closing processes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of integrated financial systems; including entering transactions, analysis, querying, and reporting.
- Comprehensive understanding of internal control methods.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of effective leadership, motivation and performance evaluation.
- Knowledge of complex spreadsheets, databases, ad hoc financial reporting tools with ability to present statistical and mathematical data.
- Skill/Ability to:
- Strong oral and written skills with ability to prepare and present clear, accurate, and complex financial statements and reports.
- Communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying complex and technical professional accounting information.
- Apply accounting principles to the analysis of complex accounting problems.
- Analyze and interpret accounting, financial and statistical data and draw sound conclusions.
- Utilize problem-solving techniques in finding solutions to complex accounting problems.
- Understand and apply applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, and principles.
- Make sound decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities.
- Interpersonal, and communication skills, including ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and ability to collaborate across organizational lines.
- Collaborate with others to help advance the goals of the department and university. Show courtesy and respect towards others and promote a positive and service oriented collegial work environment.
- Organizational and time-management skills with the ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks and projects under competing deadlines and maintain flexibility in response to constantly shifting priorities.
- Ability to facilitate group participation, consensus building and foster employee development through coaching, counseling, and training.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description
button above.Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration required.
- Three years of professional experience in accounting and reporting activities of a complex institution, preferably in higher education.
- Preferred Skills:
- Active CPA license preferred.
- CSU or Higher Education accounting experience preferred.
- Experience as a lead, supervisor or manager.
Accounting Services is dedicated to facilitating the primary mission of the University by seeking the most cost-effective methods of delivering services while continuing to implement improvement of services to students, employees and all other customers. Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by April 6, 2023
will be given full consideration by the search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate. policystat.com/policy/9779821/ latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .Supplemental Information
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled