The City of Sacramento requires all newly appointed employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment . THIS POSTING WILL BE OPEN UNTIL FILLED Final Filing Cut-off Dates: 07/01/22 and 12/31/22
Under general supervision, operates automated refuse collection vehicles to collect and dispose of garbage, recyclables, and yard waste. Performs heavy manual work for collection of bulky waste materials.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is the journey level classification in the Integrated Waste series. The Integrated Waste Operator performs skilled tasks in the operation of multi-axle automated refuse, yard, and bulky waste equipment to collect, transport, and dispose of refuse and waste materials. The Integrated Waste Equipment Operator is distinguished fromt eh Senior Integrated Waste Equipment Operator in that the latter may provide lead direction and train lower level staff and is responsible for operating the more complex refuse and waste vehicles and equipment.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Integrated Equipment Waste Operators receive general supervision from a higher-level position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Pick up, carry, and empty refuse, yard waste, or recycling containers and bulky waste into truck.
- Operate mechanisms for loading, dumping, and compressing waste and other refuse.
- Move truck while servicing route.
- Inform new customers of service charges and regulations.
- Check refuse collection equipment to insure good operating condition.
- Report houses on route to supervisor that do not require ongoing service.
- Drive truck to and from location of work assignment.
- Keep records and prepare reports of operations and activities.
- Operate equipment and/or vehicles including 1/2 ton pick-up and dump trucks, articulating drive front-end loaders, water truck, refuse packers, and other related equipment.
- Perform minor maintenance and servicing of assigned vehicle.
- Transport personnel, materials, and equipment.
- Hand sweep or shovel debris and rubbish.
- Perform pre- and post-trip vehicle inspections as required by Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of:
- Typical operation requirements of equipment and trucks.
- Traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in truck and equipment operation.
- Methods and materials used in inspecting, servicing, and maintaining equipment.
- Safe use, operation, and maintenance of truck and equipment operation.
- Typical non-mechanical preventative maintenance requirements of equipment and trucks.
- DOT laws and regulations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Maintain effective work relationships with employees and customers.
- Understand and follow specific oral and written instructions.
- Maintain written records as required.
- Learn the general layout of the City and assigned routes.
- Read and interpret a map.
- Operate trucks and related equipment safely.
- Drive for an extended period of time up to DOT limits.
- Use hand tools.
- Read and write the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
- Read and comprehend route map and be able to follow and comlete a designated route assignment.
- Perform routine non-mechanical preventative maintenance.
- Work independently on assigned projects.
One (1) year of experience comparable to an Integrated Waste Equipment Operator with the City of Sacramento.
One (1) year of experience in the operation of a two or three-axle vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 30,000 pounds or more.SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Possession of a valid California Class B Driver License without the Air Brake restriction is required at the time of appointment, and is a condition of continued employment. Loss of the Class B License and/or Air Brake restriction is a cause for discipline. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
If considered for appointment, candidates must pass a pre-employment drug test.
Employees must possess the ability to push and pull objects up to 20 pounds frequently, and 25 to 50 pounds occasionally; and, lift and carry objects ups to 30 pounds rarely.PROBATIONARY PERIOD:
Employees must complete twelve (12) months of probation at a satisfactory performance level prior to gaining permanent status.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox. 1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application to the Employment Office by the final filing deadline
2. Screening Committee
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the duties area of the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
- Proof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts and degrees should be submitted online with your application. Proof of education will be required at time of appointment.
- Proof of certification and/or license should be submitted online with your application. Proof of certification and/or license will be required at time of appointment.
- Position/job titles will not be considered in determining eligibility for meeting the minimum qualifications for this position.
- If you're requesting Veteran's credit, a copy of your DD214 must be submitted online with your application, delivered in person, or sent to the Employment Office by email/fax or mailed by the final filing deadline. Information regarding the use of Veteran's credit can be found in the Civil Service Board rules under rule 4.9C.
- Applicants are responsible for attaching a copy of their DD214 to each position for which they apply.
: (Pass/Fail)- Human Resources will evaluate employment applications for the minimum qualifications stated on the job announcement. 3. Screening For Most Qualified:
(Pass/Fail) - In the event of a large candidate pool, each candidate's Work Experience section of the application will be evaluated and rated. Only those candidates determined to be the most qualified
will proceed to the next step in the selection process. A resume will not substitute for the information required in the Work Experience section of the application.4. Performance Test:
(Weighted 100%) - Qualified candidates will be notified by email of the test date, time, and location approximately one to two weeks prior to the test. The performance test will be job related and may include, but not limited to, the knowledge and abilities as outlined above.TEST EXEMPTION
- If you have previously taken the Integrated Waste Equipment Operator exam within the past year of the final filing date of this posting, you may be considered exempt from taking the Integrated Waste Equipment Operator Exam.
The City of Sacramento's Human Resources Department will verify applicant's eligibility at the time of the final filing deadline of this job posting.5. Eligibility
- Candidates who pass the performance test will be placed on an eligible list. The hiring department may contact those on the eligible list for an interview at any time during the life of the one-year list. Candidate's eligibility expires year from the date of notification of a passing score for the Integrated Waste Equipment Operator examination. Candidates can take the examination at any time to maintain eligibility.
6. Conditional Hire
- If you are currently on an active eligible list for the Integrated Waste Equipment Operator classification, it is unnecessary to retake the examination.
- The eligible list is effective one year from the date of passing the examination for the Integrated Waste Equipment Operator .
- If you are hired from the eligible list you will no longer have active status on the eligible list per Civil Service Board Rule, 5.7(i). Applicants interested in maintaining their eligibility will need to take and pass the exam after their hire date.
: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan / fingerprinting; and provide proof of receiving a complete COVID-19 vaccination, review by Human Resources, a pre-employment controlled substance and / or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.QUESTIONS: For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process: