Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on March 28, 2022 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
of the County of San Mateo is seeking highly-qualified candidates for the position ofJAVA DEVELOPER.
This position provides technical support to the Controller's Property Tax System including programming and application support. The System is a web-based application that utilizes JAVA for the front-end and RPG for the back-end. The position serves as technical advisor and liaison to vendors, contractors and department staff on system applications, hardware and/or software products, services and issues.
The current property tax system uses a web-based environment written in JAVA with back-end programs written in RPG and utilizes DB2 databases. The system is used to calculate and distribute property taxes, process corrections to assessed valuations and tax amounts owed, and issue refunds.
The selected individual will help support the Controller's Property Tax system. The incumbent will work with users to understand and develop technical solutions that satisfy the business needs and comply with applicable California laws. Additionally, the incumbent will perform duties, including support, development, and enhancement of the County's Property Tax System and end-user training and support.Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform a variety of complex analytical duties in the design, implementation, and maintenance of the Controller's Property Tax System.
- Confer with department staff to define application requirements and translate such business needs into technical solutions; prepare requirement specifications, designs, and other documentation of the system and/or subsystems.
- Analyze and identify opportunities to automate business processes using available resources and technologies.
- Monitor system statistics to advise management on current usage, status, and performance.
- Plan software enhancements and changes to meet the needs of system users.
- Prepare test environments and work with users on user acceptance testing.
- Participate in system installation and/or enhancement projects.
- Participate in departmental and countywide systems planning activities.
- Create, update, and/or maintain intra and/or internet web pages, websites, and surrounding layers of files/links; present consistent and readable visual images by promoting uniform fonts, formatting icons, images, layout techniques, and modularization.
- Administer County policies and procedures to ensure security and integrity of all departmental databases.
- Use programming languages to retrieve and develop data and to maintain the integrity of database structures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Deploy application to test and production environments.
- Proficient in JAVA, DB2, JQuery, AJAX, HTML, XML, CSS, and AngularJS.
- 4+ years of experience in system development, implementation, and support
- 2+ years of experience with IBM iSeries.
- Proficient in Websphere development environment.
- Knowledge of industry standards for system development including version control and bug tracking.
- Knowledge of deployment tools.
- Experience using Help Desk and Ticketing Softwares (e.g., HelpSpot, JIRA).
- Experience with Version Control Tools, Reporting Tools, Data Warehouses, Web UI Design.
The Controller's Office is looking to modernize its existing application system. Experience in modern programming languages is highly desirable.
The work schedule is Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm in an office environment. Duties may require work outside of normal schedule to address project timelines or emergency situations such as system outages.NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college with major coursework information systems, or closely related field and four (4) years of responsible experience in a position that would provide knowledge of department-specific programs, processes, and/or operations, including at least two (2) years of experience in the planning, implementation, oversight, and/or utilization of automated information systems and applications used to support departmental activities and specific to the specialty area assigned which includes report design, writing, and generation; business analysis; technical writing; system administration; vendor relationship management; and/or departmental information security. Additional related experience may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis, up to four (4) years. Knowledge of:
- Advanced principles and practices used in adapting information systems to business needs and communicating those needs to information systems professionals and vendors.
- Various information technology platforms and operating systems.
- Advanced principles and practices used in the analysis and development of procedures and information systems associated with assigned operational and/or program area.
- Advanced principles of relational database management and systems integration analysis and programming.
- Advanced principles and practices of programmatic analysis and report preparation.
- Advanced information systems and data processing concepts.
- Principles and practices of contract and vendor relationship management.
- Department and County systems, policies, programs, and practices related to information systems.
- The organization, operation, and functions of the department as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities and to determine appropriate point of escalation.
- Principles and practices of project management.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work.
- Record keeping principles and procedures.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with users, vendors, external agencies, and County staff.
- Provide advanced technical and analytical support to users of department and County systems and applications.
- Communicate with department personnel to identify and translate complex information needs into system requirements.
- Communicate business information system needs to system vendors for the complex design, development, and/or enhancement of system applications.
- Conduct complex research projects on a wide variety of software and systems issues, evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare effective technical staff reports.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret procedures and data; develop sound conclusions, recommendations, and solutions.
- Research, develop, and recommend cost-effective technical system improvements.
- Develop and implement comprehensive computer operations-related projects and training programs.
- Lead focus groups or working sessions to establish new processes or technical design for improvement.
- Perform analyses of business and system requirements and needs; identify, evaluate, and solve systems problems; design and implement new or revised systems and procedures; provide technical advice and consultation, and ensure efficient computer system utilization.
- Deal tactfully with the customers and staff in providing information, answering questions, and providing customer service.
- Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, rules, and regulations.
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Application/Examination Open and Promotional. Anyone may apply
. Current County of San Mateo and County of San Mateo Superior Court of California employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: Pass/Fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in County of San Mateo, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before 11:59 p.m. on the final filing date.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE Final Filing Date: Continuous The County of San Mateo requires that all employees provide proof of COVID-19 vaccine or comply with weekly COVID-19 testing. Employees hired into specified health care facilities and other high-risk settings where there is potential for frequent COVID-19 exposure to staff and highly vulnerable patients are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For more specific information, please refer to the County's COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Policy At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs.
The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Sedrick Dixon (031422) (IS Business Analyst III - V266)