Introduction NEW FOR SUMMER 2022! Temporary 'special duty pay' will be given to ALL Lifeguard/Instructors during the upcoming peak summer season!
- From Sunday, 6/19/2022 through Saturday, 8/27/2022, the minimum base pay for all Assistant Pool Managers will increase from the current minimum of $15.35/hour to $16.93/hour.
- All existing Assistant Pool Managers , as well as anyone hired during the peak summer season will be eligible to receive at least $16.93/hour (or more, depending on qualifications).
- Additional compensation over and above the base pay may be offered to candidates who demonstrate they have related experience over and above the minimum qualifications, so be sure to include all of your current and/or previous employers in the Work History section of your application. This could potentially result in an even higher starting salary!
- The maximum of the Assistant Pool Managers salary range will remain unchanged at the existing rate of $22.32/hour.
- A ll new Assistant Pool Managers hired between Sunday, 12/19/2021 and Sunday, 6/5/2022 will be eligible to receive any approved FY2021/2022 market adjustment(s).
- All Assistant Pool Managers who meet the criteria for a FY2021/2022 performance evaluation will be eligible to receive any approved FY2021/2022 market adjustment(s) and any approved FY2021/2022 merit increase(s).
- All Assistant Pool Managers who are hired between Sunday, 6/19/2022 and Sunday, 8/14/2022 and are still active in the personnel system on Sunday, 8/29/2022 will return to whatever their base pay rate would have been before the special duty pay went into effect, but after any approved FY2021/2022 market and/or merit increases have been applied.
- All Assistant Pool Managers who are hired on or after Sunday, 8/29/2022 will receive a base pay rate of at least the minimum of the post-FY2021/2022 market adjustment salary range.
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
.About The Position
Assistant Pool Managers assist Pool Managers to operate and manage four City swimming pool facilities, and supervise staff to maximize safety, customer service, and community involvement through aquatic programs and activities. Assistant Pool Managers work various hours, typically ranging from 5:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., and must be available to work any day of the week (including certain holidays).Please note: Due to this position being part-time, the classification is unclassified, meaning it is at-will and serves at the discretion of the City. Selection Process
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Fingerprinting (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Drug Screening
This recruitment process will be used to fill temporary, part-time positions at all four aquatic centers as needed.
Work schedules vary depending on the needs of the aquatic center, and typically require some evenings, weekends, and holidays.The starting rate of pay is $15.35 per hour; additional compensation may be applied dependent upon years of experience and/or certifications.It is imperative to list all valid lifeguard certifications and licenses in the Certificates and Licenses field on the application; expired certifications and/or incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the hiring manager for consideration.Click here for information on pool locations.Click here for information on becoming a lifeguard. Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to one season (3-6 months) aquatic experience as a Lifeguard and Certified Swim Instructor.
- Must possess and maintain a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification prior to the start date.
- Must possess current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid and Water instructor Certifications or current StarGuard Lifeguard and Starfish Swim Instructor certifications. Current certifications must be shown at the time of interviews.
- Candidates must successfully pass an OSHA-required respirator physical within 45 calendar days of hire or promotion, and annually thereafter.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a division(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Assigns and posts staff to duty areas; observes performance of staff.
- Checks for proper maintenance and performs a variety of daily maintenance duties, which includes but is not limited to vacuuming, backwashing, equipment maintenance and repair and management of hazardous chemicals for water treatment.
- Performs the duties of a Lifeguard and Cashier as needed.
- Develops and gives in-service training programs for the staff.
- Enforces pool rules and regulations.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Click here to review the entire job description. The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Climb up/down ladder to lifeguard chair; sit in stationary lifeguard chair for long periods of time maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding pool deck area.
- Move around on deck to make observations.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Lift dead weight usually exceeding 50 pounds.
- Exposure to the sun, dust, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, pool chemicals, chemically treated pool water and direct exposure to the sun.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a daily basis.
- Act quickly and calmly in emergencies; administer first aid and CPR; perform rescue actions.
- Coordinate movement of more than one limb simultaneously.
- Lift arms above shoulder level.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous