The PositionWorkplaces across Portland, the United States and the world are making tough decisions about how to protect their employees and community from COVID-19. We, too, find ourselves in the middle of this complex situation at the City of Portland. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, all City employees are required to be fully vaccinated, effective October 18, 2021. Proof of full vaccination, or documentation of plans to become fully vaccinated (e.g., partially vaccinated however too soon for second dose, etc.) will be required prior to being hired by the City of Portland. The required vaccination is a minimum qualification requirement to be hired by the City of Portland. We understand that some are unable to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, including medical and religious/spiritual reasons. Should you be offered employment with the City of Portland, there is an exception process that provides for an exception and reasonable accommodation based on a qualified medical condition or religious/spiritual reason. Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
. This recruitment is open continuous. The 1st review date will be all applications received until Monday November 22nd at 11:59PM . The 2nd review date will be any application received between November 23rd at 12AM through December 20th at 11:59PM. Subsequent review dates will be added/updated later. Full update timeline can be found below.
The City of Portland is seeking an Instrument Technician
to join our dynamic team of highly qualified and innovative technicians that work on very complex and varied instruments and control systems. Instrument Technicians operate at a journeyman level to safely install, maintain, document and repair electrical, electronic instrument systems. These systems are used to meter, record, analyze, control and monitor water and/or wastewater. Incumbents inspect and test instruments and systems, determine the cause of malfunctions, service and repair the instruments and then calibrate the system. Work responsibilities can include developing Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) systems and maintaining and improving existing systems. Strong skills in maintaining, developing and troubleshooting networking and SCADA systems is a plus. Additionally, skills with PC hardware and operating systems are desired. Work is typically performed in a shop environment and/or outdoors as required in all weather conditions. Incumbents are typically required to lift up to 50 pounds; wear protective gear; work with hand and power tools and are exposed to electric currents.
Although the current vacancy is in the Bureau of Environmental Services, the eligible list created from this recruitment may be used to fill future positions in the Water Bureau. Instrument Technician duties within the Water Bureau will include climbing to heights of 150' and working in confined spaces (underground vaults.)
This position is represented by District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU) collective bargaining agreement, view the agreement at:
Newly negotiated salary increases are currently in process. External applicants start at the entry salary rate.
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today. Work Location
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. Some employees are working from home full-time, while other roles cannot be filled in a remote status (firefighter, vehicle mechanic, street maintenance, etc.). In the future, current positions classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, or 3) revert to full-time at a city work location. To Qualify Applicants must provide details in their cover letter and resume that demonstrate how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
1. Knowledge of tools, materials, processes and techniques of precision instruments, process control equipment and electronics including troubleshooting techniques.
2. Skill in repairing, troubleshooting, maintaining, modifying and installing precision instruments and process control equipment; maintaining, developing and troubleshooting networking as well as other electronic equipment, electronics and communications devices. Although not required, please also include experience with SCADA systems.
3. Ability to perform layout and sketch designs for process control installations, modifications and repairs.
4. Ability to communicate effectively and establish and maintain effective working relationships and work constructively as part of a team and independently.Applicants must also possess:
The Recruitment Process
- A State of Oregon Limited Maintenance Electrical license within six months of time of hire. (A higher level/broader electrical license may be substituted for the Limited Maintenance Electrical license.)
- A valid state driver's license and acceptable driving record at the time of hire.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate. If unvaccinated, exception process must be completed by date of hire. Exception guidelines/process can be accessed here: Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested .
Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. ** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Timeline: *Timeline is approximate and subject to change Job Posting: 10/25/21 - 04/18/22
- Round 1 Closes 11/22/21
- Eligible List Round 1: Week of 11/29/21
- Interviews: Early December
- Offer: Late December
Closes 12/20/21Eligible List Round 2:
Week of 12/27/21
Eligible List Round 3:
- Interviews: Early-Mid January
- Offer: Mid-Late January
Week of 1/31/22
Eligible List Round 4:
- Interviews: Early February
- Offer: Mid-Late February
Week of 2/21/22
Application InstructionsApplicants must submit a professional résumé and cover letter online specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Interviews: Early March
- Offer: Mid March
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted Additional Information Work Status:
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training, certification and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications and ability to meet the minimum requirements listed in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- Do not attach documents not requested.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. Veterans' Preference:
If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment. ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations:
If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance. Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. Did you know?
The City of Portland offers "How to Apply Classes"
that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: Events | Career Center | Portland.gov
Terrol Johnson, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources Terrol.Johnson@portlandoregon.gov
Closing Date/Time: 4/18/2022 11:59 PM Pacific