Summary WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-inspired values â€" Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization. SUMMARY
Under direct supervision, the purpose of this position it to perform general repair and maintenance of streets and drainage systems. Employees in this classification perform manual level work. This position is responsible for operating heavy equipment and may perform other related functions as assigned.Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participates in all phases of streets, drainage and alley repair and construction.
- Makes repairs in pavement, curb, gutter and sidewalk using epoxy based chemicals and products.
- Operates simple to moderately complex equipment, such as backhoes, loaders, paving machines, front end loaders, sweepers, concrete vibrator, box blades, jack hammers, concrete saw, pavement grinder, sand spreader and roller.
- Operates various types of trucks in the hauling and distribution of materials.
- May occasionally lead the work of others.
- Makes estimates for the amount of concrete, asphalt or other material needed to complete specific projects.
- Maintains operational records; schedules and fills out work orders.
- Participates in establishing traffic control devices such as signs, barricades and cones. Guides traffic flow at work sites.
- Responds to emergency situations after hours and/or on weekends and holidays.
- Cleans, inspects, maintains and services tools and equipment.
- Comply with all written City policies and procedures.
- Adhere to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Responds to citizen complaints and concerns.
- Mandatory assistance with traffic control at 70+ Special Events working nights, weekends and holidays.
- Serves on Call Out Crew as needed.
- Assist other departments as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Requires the ability to calculate, compute, summate and/or tabulate data and/or information. Includes the ability to perform subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
- Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance and/or interpretation to others on how to apply procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference data and information, such as equipment manuals, city policy manuals and line locators.
- Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Requires the ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
- Requires the ability to exercise the judgment required in situations characterized by repetitive short cycle operations covered by set procedures or consequences.
- Requires the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating back hoes, motor graders, box blades, rollers, etc. Additionally, requires the ability to utilize shovels, asphalt rakes, laser instruments and street saws.
- The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- High School Diploma or GED;
- Two (2) years previous experience and/or training involving street maintenance or any equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Valid Texas Class "A" commercial driver's license required.
- Two (2) years experience operating light equipment, such as chain saws, backhoes, loaders, paving machines, front-end loaders, gradalls, concrete vibrator, box blades and jack hammers.
- Two (2) years experience operating hauling and distribution trucks.
- Two (2) years experience in work zone traffic control, such as flagging, lane closures, sign placements and road closure procedures.
- Must possess National Incident Management System (NIMS) Certificate IS-700.
Must be able to work varied shifts as needed.
During storms or natural disasters, staff will be divided into two 12 hour shifts. During storms or natural disasters, staff may be called in while on vacation. Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Tasks require the ability to exert heavy physical effort while performing heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing and sometimes involving a combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or the pulling of moderately heavy objects and material (20-50) pounds. Lifting may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 100 pounds). WORK ENVIRONMENT
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions. Tasks may require exposure to strong odors and/or smoke, traffic hazards, extreme heat/cold or extreme weather conditions. SUPPLEMENTAL
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous