Assistant Environmental Health Specialist / Environmental Health Specialist ISALARY INFORMATION
Assistant Environmental Health Specialist $25.08 - $33.81 Hourly
Environmental Health Specialist I $29.52 - $39.79 Hourly
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59p.m. (PST)
on the day the County's needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
The eligible list established through this recruitment will be used to fill current and future Assistant Environmental Health Specialist/Environmental Health Specialist I positions. This eligible list may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange, Health Care Agency
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven service areas - Finance and Administrative, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Medical Health Services, Office of Care Coordination, Public Health and Strategy and Special Projects is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH DIVISION
The Environmental Health Division
is comprised of various programs aimed toward protecting the health and safety of Orange County residents and visitors from harmful conditions in the environment. Staff enforce laws and regulations and emphasize education to assist businesses and communities with providing healthy and safe communities. The EHD regulates the following: retail, wholesale, and mobile food facilities; public housing; public swimming pools; small drinking water and onsite wastewater systems; ocean water quality; above-ground and underground tanks and cleanup oversight; medical waste, hazardous materials and waste; and land use and solid waste. THE OPPORTUNITY Assistant Environmental Health Specialist (AEHS)
The AEHS will learn to perform inspections and investigations in the enforcement of environmental health laws and regulations. Upon satisfactory performance at this level and receipt of certification as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS), incumbents may be promoted to the class of Environmental Health Specialist I.
All applications submitted to Human Resource Services for the AEHS position will not be processed without the required certification letter issued by the California Department of Public Health.Environmental Health Specialist I (EHS I)
The Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) will perform inspections and investigations in the enforcement of environmental health laws and regulations.
All applications submitted to Human Resource Services for the EHS I position will not be processed without the required REHS certification.
Information on the REHS Program can be found by visiting the California Department of Public Health
(CDPH) website. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate must possess extensive experience in the following core competencies:Technical Knowledge
Oral | Written Communication Skills
- Understanding of food safety training concepts and regulations, such as the California Retail Food Code, Oral Culture Learning, Active Managerial Control, as well as the Food and Drug Administration Voluntary Program Standards
- Understanding of applied sciences, such as health sciences, microbiology, chemistry, and physics
- Collaborating with supervision and co-workers to explore new opportunities, and implement new techniques, and approaches pertinent to environmental health, such as active learning and listening, using education to modify behaviors, and improve overall safety
- Analyzing data and facts relevant to environmental health and inspections
- Utilizing and implementing Microsoft Office and data tracking systems
Collaboration | Organizational Skills
- Providing verbal feedback to others and clearly articulating public health issues to operators
- Gathering and reporting data consistently from inspections, writing reports and entering into the database
- Managing numerous projects simultaneously and working collaboratively with a committee or team
- Collaborating to independently solve problems or issues with industry or other regulatory entities
- Collaborating with Division staff and external partners, including local, state, and federal agencies
to view the minimum qualifications for an Assistant Environmental Health Specialist as well as the physical, mental, environmental, and working conditions.
to view the minimum qualifications as an Environmental Health Specialist I as well as the physical, mental, environmental, and working conditions.RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified candidates. After screening, qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy. Application Screening| (Refer/Non-Refer):
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those candidates that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Online Assessment|(Refer/Non-Refer):
Applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in one or more job-related assessments. Applicants will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Only the most qualified applicants will move forward to the next step in the recruitment process.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
| Score Groups
: Once all assessments have been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.Email Notification
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE:
User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Liza Butler at (714) 834-5304 or firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.