The Position Workplaces across Portland, the United States and the world are making tough decisions about how to protect their employees and community from COVID-19. We, too, find ourselves in the middle of this complex situation at the City of Portland. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, all City employees are required to be fully vaccinated, effective October 18, 2021. Proof of full vaccination, or documentation of plans to become fully vaccinated (e.g., partially vaccinated however too soon for second dose, etc.) will be required prior to being hired by the City of Portland. The required vaccination is a minimum qualification requirement to be hired by the City of Portland. We understand that some are unable to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, including medical and religious/spiritual reasons. Should you be offered employment with the City of Portland, there is an exception process that provides for an exception and reasonable accommodation based on a qualified medical condition or religious/spiritual reason. Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine This recruitment is open continuous. The 3rd review date will be all applications received until Monday November 15th at 11:59PM . The 4th review date will be any application received between November 16th at 12AM through December 13th at 11:59PM. Subsequent review dates will be added/updated later. Full update timeline can be found below.
The Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) is seeking a Wastewater Operator II
. This is full performance level work in the operation and routine maintenance of a large, activated sludge, wastewater treatment plant. Wastewater Operators II maintain established water quality standards through the effective operation of all equipment involved in the treatment process including operating, monitoring and controlling a vast network of pumps, conveyers, air and chemical systems; making operational decisions including pumping rates and dosage adjustments, while working in one of five work units, which provide 24-hour coverage every day. The Wastewater Operator II maintains accurate records, performs standard laboratory tests and identifies equipment failures and maintenance needs.
About the Bureau of Environmental Services
The City of Portland's Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) works with Portland residents and businesses to protect water quality, public health, and the environment through wastewater collection and treatment, sewer construction and maintenance, stormwater management, and stream and watershed restoration. Our assets include two wastewater treatment plants, 98 pump stations, 3000 miles of pipes, and thousands of ' green' assets. BES is committed to diversity and equity through its service delivery, internal operations, organizational culture, and in its work with partners and the community. For more information about BES, please visit http://www.portlandoreqon.gov/bes .
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
To Qualify The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
Applicants also must possess:
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment processes including the operation of process control equipment, trouble shooting techniques, and laboratory procedures.
- Ability to maintain operational processes and procedures independently.
- Skill in the safe use of tools, power equipment, and specialized process related equipment.
- Skill in providing lead direction to staff, including assisting and reviewing work.
After acceptance of a conditional job offer candidates must also successfully pass a physical capacities test. The Recruitment Process
- A valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record at the time of hire.
- Ability to obtain medical certification of respirator readiness and the absence of any physical characteristic that prevents rapid attainment of a tight seal between face and self-contained breathing apparatus requiring Wastewater Operators II to be clean-shaven.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate. If unvaccinated, exception process must be completed by date of hire. Exception guidelines/process can be accessed here: Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested
. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.Job Posting: 08/30/21 - 06/30/22
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change Applicant InstructionsApplicants must submit a professional résumé online and answer all supplemental questions, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Eligible list will be established every 30 days.
- Your résumé and supplemental question answers will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your supplemental question answers should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your supplemental question answers.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your answers to the supplemental questions any transferable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted online no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted
.Do not attach documents not requested. Additional Information Work Status:
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. Veterans' Preference:
If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment. ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations:
If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance. Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. Did you know ?
The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow t he link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/events
Terrol Johnson, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources Terrol.Johnson@portlandoregon.gov An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Closing Date/Time: 6/30/2022 11:59 PM Pacific