DEADLINE TO APPLY : Open Until Filled
Next Review: Monday, December 13, 2021Please note, this is the posting for the "Communications Operator (Per-Diem)" position. See below for Communications Operator (Per-Diem) requirements.COVID POLICY: The City of Hayward has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all new employees issued formal offers of employment on or after February 1, 2022 . Under this policy, proof of full vaccination is required as a condition of initial and continued employment with the City unless the employee has applied for an exemption and is awaiting the City's response or has been granted an exemption, or unless stricter State or Federal legal requirements apply. If offered employment, you will receive instructions regarding how to provide verification of vaccination or how to apply for an exemption, which will be required prior to your start date. You may read the full policy here: COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Mandate
The City of Hayward is excited to announce its recruitment for the position of Communications Operator (Per-Diem). This is a temporary, on call, as needed position, which is not eligible for benefits.
Under general supervision from the Communications Supervisor, the Communications Operator operates a computer aided dispatch system receiving calls and dispatching police, fire or other City services.
This is a journey technical level position in which incumbents are expected to independently perform the full range of duties assigned. This class is distinguished from the Communications Supervisor in that the latter provides technical and functional supervision over assigned communication personnel.
The Communications Center in the Support Services Division of the Hayward Police Department is responsible for dispatching both Police and Fire Services throughout the City of Hayward. The Hayward Police Department is one of 18 CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement) accredited police departments in California and is committed to maintaining CALEA's high standards and broadly recognized excellence.
The Communications Center is frequently the first point of contact that a member of the public will have when requesting assistance from the City of Hayward. The information gathered by the communications operator during this contact is critical to a positive outcome. The Communications Center consists of six (6) stations with each communications operator assigned to a specific job.Essential Duties
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
Receives emergency and non-emergency calls from the public, private companies and other jurisdictions.
Dispatches police and fire personnel or other City services in response to such calls.
Relays emergency and non-emergency information to public safety personnel in the field.
Relays information to other agencies as required.
Monitors multiple frequencies.
Maintains accurate record of location and status of public safety units.
Operates a manual dispatch system when necessary.
Assists in relaying information during response to natural disasters.
Performs related work as necessary.
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- English usage, including comprehension and grammar.
- Read and comprehend information and instructions.
- Learn to operate manual and computer aided radio and telephone equipment in dispatching public safety equipment and personnel.
- Perform several job tasks effectively under pressure for sustained periods of time.
- Memorize and retain information from a variety of sources.
- Interpret information from distraught, incoherent or angry callers and relay critical facts to appropriate emergency or nonemergency personnel.
- Assign priorities both to incoming calls and to the dispatch of calls for service.
- Speak clearly and concisely via radio, telephone and in person.
- Respond to requests for emergency and nonemergency services in a professional and courteous manner.
- Type accurately at a speed of 35 words per minute.
- Work various shifts, including day, swing and graveyard as well as weekends and holidays.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
A complete job description and list of duties can be found at www.hayward-ca.gov. Minimum Qualifications
Experience: Two (2) years of experience as a public safety dispatcher for a Public Safety Answering Point, including heavy public contact while performing multiple tasks and using a computer-aided dispatch system.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade.
Licenses and Certificates: Completion of the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Basic Public Safety Dispatcher course.
Typing Certificate: A typing certificate with 35
net words per minute 1. Certificates will be accepted from a public school, business school or temporary agency; certificates from Internet testing services and/or home computer CD testing will NOT be accepted.
2. Typing certificate (or signed statement on official letterhead from the testing agency) must be dated no earlier than six (6) months prior to the date of the application filing .
3. Typing certificate (or signed letter) must state all of the following information:
• Five (5)-minute timed typing test.
• Gross typing speed in words per minute.
• Gross number of errors.
• Net words per minute. Supplemental Information SELECTION PROCEDURECOVID POLICY: The City of Hayward has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all new employees issued formal offers of employment on or after February 1, 2022 . Under this policy, proof of full vaccination is required as a condition of initial and continued employment with the City unless the employee has applied for an exemption and is awaiting the City's response or has been granted an exemption, or unless stricter State or Federal legal requirements apply. If offered employment, you will receive instructions regarding how to provide verification of vaccination or how to apply for an exemption, which will be required prior to your start date. You may read the full policy here: COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Mandate
Candidates must submit a completed City of Hayward job application and responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire, which fully describe the nature of their professional experience and qualifications. Applications submitted without all required materials will not be considered.
Only those candidates meeting "Per-Diem Requirements" will continue in the selection process.
Pursuant to City Charter Section 2-4.01 Unclassified Service, "part-time employees paid on an hourly or per diem basis" are not a part of the classified service. Suitably qualified candidates who submit a completed City of Hayward job application may be invited to participate an interview with the department.
Actual hire depends on success in the selection process described above in addition to a background investigation, polygraph, and medical exam.
Candidates under final consideration for employment with the City should expect to undergo an employment background/reference check that may include, but is not limited to: employment history, confirmation of educational credentials and degrees, licenses including driver's license, registrations, certificates, and other credentials as part of the appointment process. Some positions, depending on the nature of the work, also require a credit check and a review of Summary Criminal History obtained from the State Department of Justice through Live Scan Fingerprinting. Applicants will be notified electronically via Government Jobs as to their status in the selection process. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure they can receive email notice from Neogov/Government Jobs and the City of Hayward. APPLICATIONS
Candidates are encouraged to apply online at www.hayward-ca.gov under the Current Vacancies tab or at www.GovernmentJobs.com. Paper applications can be obtained by visiting the Human Resources Department at Hayward City Hall located at 777 B Street, Hayward, CA 94541. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Apply prior to the closing time of the job announcement and allow at least one (1) hour to submit your application if you are a new user to the system. Our on-line application system is provided by Government Jobs. If you have problems while applying online, please contact the Government Jobs Help Desk at (855) 524-5627.
The City of Hayward reserves the right to modify the selection process as necessary to conform to administrative or business necessity.
The City of Hayward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Closing Date/Time: Continuous