GEL 101 - The Student, The University, The Community
Term: Fall 2020
College: Undergraduate Studies
Department: First-Year Programs
First-Year Programs at California State University San Marcos seeks a part-time lecturer for Fall 2020 to teach GEL 101: The Student, The University, The Community. This 3-unit course is a first-year student college success course that meets the CSU lower-division requirement in Area E "Lifelong Learning and Self-Development." The candidate should have experience working directly with students.
• MA and demonstrated ability in working with students to facilitate their transition from high school to college.
• Advanced degree in education, teaching and learning, instruction and curriculum development, or in the area of adult education.
• Previous college-level teaching experience.
• Demonstrated ability to work with students, particularly first-generation students, to facilitate their transition to the academic and social demands of college.
• Understanding of CSU undergraduate general education requirements and ability to direct/guide students toward the necessary information/resources for developing an academic plan and career goals.
• Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated expertise related to "Major Pathways" in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (for careful consideration in staffing specialized STEM sections).
• Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated expertise related to cultural validation (for careful consideration in staffing specialized PASO sections).
• Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated commitment to diversity and/or intercultural competence with diverse groups in relation to teaching.
To apply, please submit the following to FYPPTLEC@csusm.edu
• A completed faculty application
• Letter of interest
• Curriculum vitae
• Three current references
• Supplemental Questionnaire
• Documentation of teaching effectiveness and sample course syllabi are strongly encouraged when available
• Optional survey
Timeline: A review of applications will begin on June 19, 2020; however, the position
will remain open until filled.
The University is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit http://www.csusm.edu/facultyopportunities for more information.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon execution of an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status and Legal Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect form. Signing the form is a prerequisite to employment and failure to sign will result in any offer of employment being withdrawn.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Marcos, California