San José State University - San José, California
Subject to Budgetary Approval
Department: School of Information
Job ID (JOID): 25384
Specialization: Director of the School of Information
• An earned doctorate.
• A record of scholarly and professional achievement sufficient for appointment as a tenured full professor.
• Evidence of commitment to 100% online learning.
• Comfort with working with a geographically-distributed faculty and staff using email, web conferencing, instant messaging and other tools.
• Demonstrate awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
• Successful record of administrative and financial leadership including strategic planning, budgeting, student success, and assessment experience.
• Demonstrated ability to foster a collegial organizational climate based upon service, transparency, and teamwork.
• Continue to position the School of Information at San José State University as a global leader in the 100% online delivery of education for the information professions.
• Ensure continued American Library Association accreditation and re-accreditation of the MLIS program.
• Provide leadership in strategic planning, future program growth, student success, and assessment to ensure that current and future directions are articulated with clear goals and key success factors.
• Lead and foster the development and recognition of faculty through recruitment, appointments, and equitable promotion and tenure processes.
• Lead the development of disciplinary and interdisciplinary research activity and stimulate growth in funded research.
• Serve as a strong advocate for the School's interests within the College and the University.
• Take a leadership role in professional associations at the local, national and international level.
• Lead the development of new and entrepreneurial online learning models and programs.
• Demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation.
The School of Information delivers all degrees and certificates 100% online. It offers:
• 3 masters degrees: Library and Information Science (MLIS) [Accredited by the American Library Association], Archives and Records Administration (MARA), and an MS in Informatics.
• 2 certificate programs: Advanced Certificate in Digital Assets and Services and Post Master's Certificate in Library and Information Science.
• 1 credential program: Teacher Librarian Credential program [Accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing].
The iSchool is a member of the largest international consortium of Information Schools ( https://ischools.org/) dedicated to advancing the information field. The iSchool educates more than 2000 graduate students.
More information about the School of Information at San José State University can be found at https://ischool.sjsu.edu/. Questions should be sent to Dr. Linda Main, Associate Director, at Linda.Main@sjsu.edu
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Starting Date: January 2021 or as negotiated.
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Application Procedure: For full consideration, send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, a statement addressing the qualifications and responsibilities outlined above, and at least three original letters of reference with contact information by October 1st 2020 to https://apply.interfolio.com/75368 .
Inquiries may be directed to: Dr. Linda Main, Associate Director, at Linda.Main@sjsu.edu. Please include Job Opening ID (JOID) on all correspondence.
San José State University enrolls over 37,500 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California's oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley's public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Jose, California