Library Assistant I (Part-Time/64% FTE) $21.16 - $25.73 per hour Plus excellent "pro-rated" benefits APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Monday, March 23, 2020 for first consideration THE POSITION:
The Library and Recreation Department (Library Division) is seeking a part-time (64% FTE) LibraryAssistant I. The incumbent in this position will perform a variety of responsible library work related to the circulation of materials and assist patrons in the use of the library. The Library Assistant I will perform a variety of duties related to the loaning, return, shelving and monitory of Library materials. This position performs the following essential job duties:
To be eligible for this position, you must have knowledge of:
- Processes returned materials and prepares them for re-shelving.
- Assists patrons in person and by telephone, provides information, and refers reference and other specialized questions to appropriate staff.
- Sorts books and related materials according to alphabetical, numerical, and categorical systems.
- Collects, stacks, shelves and re-shelves library materials.
- Maintains logs and records, conducts routine and special surveys and tabulation of usage of materials, patron demographics, and related information.
- Locates and furnishes reserve/closed stack materials for patrons.
- Places holds, reserves materials, and notifies patrons of availability.
- Verifies proper shelf arrangement of books and filing of identification and catalog cards, researches missing materials.
- Calculates and collects fees and fines, operates cash register, makes change, counts, and balances cash drawer.
- Uses on-line system to maintain current patron information and monitor fines and fees due.
- Uses on-line computer system to place interlibrary loan requests and to create temporary records of loaned materials.
- Maintains current patron information and monitors fines and fees due.
- Processes, copy catalogs, and inputs information into online databases.
- Operates and performs basic operator maintenance of PC and related software, typewriter, photocopiers and related standard library equipment.
- May assign and coordinate work assignment(s) of volunteer or part-time help.
- Recruits, interviews, tests, hires, and trains pages.
- Prepares library materials for circulation.
- Adds and updates information in the library's online database.
- Performs basic copy cataloging using OCLC and other computer software.
- Uses OCLC to place interlibrary loan requests.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position, you must have the ability to:
- Basic office practices and procedures, including the operation of standard office equipment.
- Alphabetical, numerical and topical filing systems.
- Material organization and structure of libraries, including categories of materials and general arrangement.
- Basic arithmetic.
- Library technical services terminology and equipment including on-line databases.
- Sort and organize materials in alphabetical, numerical, and topical order.
- Deal tactfully and effectively with the wide variety of library users.
- Maintain logs and records.
- Type at a speed required by the department.
- Operate modern office equipment including a PC and related software.
- Operate modern library equipment.
- Make arithmetical calculations involving addition and multiplication.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Use online computer system to issue cards, books, etc.
- Work weekends and holidays.
- Climb, stoop and crawl to place and reach books; lift up to 50 pounds; push loaded book carts.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Course work or practical experience in complex filing and recordkeeping systems is desirable.
- Spanish speaking preferred, but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: City of San Rafael application is required
. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-employment physical, background check, driving record, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org
. Select "Member Agencies". Select "San Rafael". Follow this link to submit your application: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-19988886 Reasonable Accommodation
: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Such accommodations must be requested by the applicant.
Job PDF: Library Assistant I (64% FTE) Job Announcement.pdf
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $21.16 - $25.73 per hour,
DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement:The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance (pro-rated at .64 FTE):Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $757.96; Employee+1 - $1,433.74; Employee+Family - $1,571.09; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance:$5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance:Premium pro-rated at .64 FTE
- Vision Insurance:Premium pro-rated at .64 FTE
- Deferred Comp
- Annual Leave (pro-rated at .64 FTE):Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service/6.25 hours earned per month); 12 days per year; 11 holidays and 2 floating holidays.
- And more......
Contact email: email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Until filled