Business Intelligence Lead Analyst
SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing email@example.com.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Information Technology Services
This is a one year probationary position.
Monday to Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Anticipated Hiring Range*
$8,000.00 - $9,000.00 Per Month ($96,000.00 - $108,000.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The incumbent, acts as the Lead Business Intelligence Analyst and is under the general direction of the Director of ERP and Business Intelligence, is a technical analyst for the Business Intelligence systems and applications, consults with the database administrators, systems administrators, application developers, network analysts, identity management, campus business users, and portal specialists on implementation and maintenance of enterprise projects; maintains business intelligence environments; oversees business intelligence upgrades; provisions business intelligence environments; enforces business intelligence standards; assist in the overall technical business intelligence design; ensures that best practices for business intelligence implementation are followed and service level agreements are met; and participates in business intelligence requirements gathering; provides technical leadership to BI team and campus users.
Develop, implement and maintain new and existing application software and systems.
- Responsible for analysis, design, coding, testing, deployment and post-implementation support of Extract Transform and Load (ETL) processes for Data Warehouse.
- Provide technical analysis to business users for new applications and enhancements to existing applications.
- Assist with implementation of Data Warehouse projects.
- Identify problems and opportunities associated with enterprise applications; initiate analysis and actions as needed.
- Work with customers on implementing changes required annually to meet federal, state and Chancellor's Office regulations.
- Extract, clean and validate data based on required specifications.
Provide technical leadership for Enterprise Data Warehouse and Data Lake.
- Provide guidance and expertise to teams within the department and across campus regarding Business Intelligence technologies.
- Work to provide expert guidance on security modeling for user access/ roles to ensure SOX security compliance.
- Provide strategic recommendations in overall scheme of operations of units involved in operational activities using Enterprise Data Warehouse and Data Lake.
- Work with Director of ERP and Business Intelligence to develop and execute a technical strategy for the Data Warehouse and Data Lake initiatives, including application software maintenance, and custom software development and next generation of near-real time systems integration.
- Strengthen the current change management process to ensure transparency, effective prioritization and effective use of technical resources.
Lead Business Intelligence team.
- In concert with the Director of ERP and Business Intelligence, coordinate the operations for the Business Intelligence team including technical support coverage and ticket resolution.
- Facilitate staff career development through coaching, feedback, and guidance.
- Provide staff additional supervision and direction as needed.
- Stays current on BI trends and technical advances.
Serve as liaison to users in administrative offices, software consultants, or other members of Information Technology Services.
- Resolve service requests from end users.
- Coordinate with users on configuration or customization of Business Intelligence(BI) applications, and train users on the use of these applications.
- Analyze user program failures, determine the cause of the failure, and make corrections where required.
- Be on-call for critical job runs when analyst/programmer intervention is required to determine and resolve problems.
Document computer programs and procedures
- Document processes and standard procedures for the BI and ETL systems.
Other duties as assigned
To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in applications programming and systems analysis and related programming support functions is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science or business, or equivalent training and applied experience. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Analyst/Programmer, depending on the position assignment, may include working knowledge of a specific industry standard applications programming language and knowledge of standard systems analysis techniques.
Incumbents at the expert level work almost completely independently on the most complex problems and work assignments. They possess an advanced and comprehensive knowledge of the technical specialty and a working knowledge of related specialties and are able to apply this extensive expertise as a generalist or specialist. Experts are proactive and understand problems from broad, interactive perspective and are able to develop solutions that combine information and ideas in new, unprecedented ways. Incumbents at this level are capable of leading teams and implementation efforts for assigned projects using advanced communication and listening skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related fields.
- Minimum five (5) years' experience in data warehouse and business intelligence applications.
- Experience implementing business intelligence solutions at an enterprise scale.
- Minimum five (5) years' experience with data analytic tools such as, Tableau, Pentaho, Actuate, Brio, Crystal Reports.
- Ability to analyze/optimize SQL explain plan.
- Expert knowledge in data modeling, SQL query, and data cleaning tools.
- Expert knowledge on integration platforms such as, Dell Boomi, Mulesoft or similar iPaaS technologies.
- Working knowledge of Linux operating systems, shell scripting, and Python programming language.
- Ability to diagnosis and troubleshoot problems in BI applications, as well as, database server.
- Working knowledge on Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently to meet delivery dates.
- Experience managing a work backlog, estimating effort, assigning tasks, and delivering to commitments.
- Master's degree in computer science, Engineering or related fields.
- Minimum seven (7) years' experience in data warehouse and business intelligence applications.
- Expert knowledge of Oracle database and the SQL language.
- Working knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Amazon Redshift.
- Expert knowledge of Python, R, or Java programming language.
- Certification in Agile Development Methodologies (i.e. Certified Scrum Master, Certified Scrum Developer)
- Experience with enterprise applications, preferably PeopleSoft, in Higher Education.
- Familiarity with data models related to student information systems, finance, and human resources.
- Experience in implementation and support of a Business Intelligence tool in combination with a Data Warehouse.
- Proven knowledge to define and execute report and integration tests.
- Experience with the principles of Data Warehouse/ Data Lake design and operations, including familiarity with data extraction.
- Experience with project management tools.
- Extensive experience with the enterprise application development cycle.
- Working knowledge of network and systems infrastructure.
This position has a regular forty-hour work schedule, the incumbent will be required to work after hours and on weekends as needed to support production and implement releases.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Eligibility to Work*
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference.
How To Apply
**THE ONLINE RECRUITMENT SYSTEM WILL ALLOW ONLY ONE FILE ATTACHMENT FOR EACH SUBMISSION**
Submit an online application and upload in one file attachment your resume, cover letter, describing your specific qualifications for each position AND three (3) professional references who can comment upon your education and/or job related experience.
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Francisco, California 94132 United States View Map