The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking dynamic and goal-driven employees. Employees that are motivated to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. Employees who are passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Apply now.Bus Driver Duties
This part-time position is responsible for the safe and efficient transportation of passengers in and around a designated area, using a vehicle that requires a Commercial Driver's License. Work is performed within the established guidelines and procedures with regard to the safety of the passengers and the general public. The employee's work is reviewed by a superior through the observation of activities, though the employee is expected to exercise independent judgment and initiative to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the vehicle.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Performing pre-trip inspections of equipment to ensure cleanliness and proper working order; performing operator level maintenance on vehicles to include maintaining log books and forms; taking vehicle to central servicing area for repairs and/or maintenance; enforcing passenger safety rules to ensure safety while vehicle is in operation; maintaining order during the trip and addressing poor passenger conduct; attending and participating in training classes; adhering to safety rules and regulations of local, state, and federal agencies; and performing other related work, as required. JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Have successfully graduated from a standard high school or possess an acceptable G.E.D. from a recognized issuing agency.
- (6 months - 2 years) experience operating school buses or vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers.
- A valid State of Florida Commercial Driver's License (Class B or higher) with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements is required and must be maintained valid throughout employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates must pass a fingerprinting/background screening process prior to employment. HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION:
- S. (School Bus) Issued to those who have passed the required written and skills test and who will transport pre-primary, primary or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events. (Does not include a bus used as a common carrier.) The P endorsement is also required.
- P. (Passengers) - Issued to those who have passed the required written and skills test and who will drive passenger vehicles.
- PLEASE NOTE: Once hired, licensed after-school personnel will be required to complete additional documentation and forms to ensure County and State compliance.
- 40 hours Child Care Training and transcripts required
- Local/FDLE Background Screening
- Proof of HS Diploma or GED required
- Pediatric CPR/First Aid
- Experience working in Licensed After-school program preferred.
All applicants must complete the attached supplemental worksheet as well as the standard employment application.
Applications will be reviewed and the hiring authority will contact those applicants whose application reflects the best match of experience for the position. Effective July 1, 2012:
The City of Fort Lauderdale now requires newly hired employees to accept payment by direct deposit. Payment by direct deposit will be a condition of employment and all new hires will be asked to designate where they would like their payroll checks to be directly deposited.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous