The PositionThere is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.
This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 12/20/2019, 1/10/2020, 2/21/2020 (Final)
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for varied and complex mechanical engineering projects involving technical supervision over consultants and other staff engaged in the design, construction and inspection of mechanical facilities and installations. Watch to explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of:
- engineering theory and practice relating to design, operation, and maintenance of mechanical equipment and facilities
- methods of organizing and directing engineering project teams
- principles of effective supervision
- building codes and safety codes governing mechanical installations
- engineering economics and financing
- construction inspection methods
- specification writing and estimating
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- plan, organize and direct the work of professional and technical staff
- make field inspection and surveys
- check drawings and specifications
- establish and maintain cooperative relationships with County agencies and commercial firms
- prepare technical reports and correspondence
Either: l. Three years of experience in Sacramento County service in the class of Associate
Or: 2. Possession of a valid certificate of registration as a mechanical engineer issued by the
California State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers.
Three years of experience comparable to that in the Associate Mechanical Engineer class in Sacramento County service.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.EducationNote:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
Driver's License: A valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher, is required prior to
appointment to all positions in this class series.
Certificates/licenses: Some positions in this class series require incumbents to complete one yearof verifiable experience in the appropriate field, and one year thereafter, to obtain certification from a recognized state, national, or international association, as determined by the County.
Any person currently and continuously employed by the County as an inspector, plans examiner or building official, for not less than two years prior to January 1, 1996, is exempt from the certification requirements as outlined above.
In addition, persons appointed to this class might be required to complete a minimum of 45 hours of continuing education every three years. The County may determine appropriate providers of continuing education such as community colleges or organizations affiliated with code enforcement.
Note : Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher and failure to meet the required certification requirements may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 2/21/2020 5:00 PM Pacific