Conducts complex senior-level analytical work in support of a human resources management function, which may include recruiting & selection, hiring, compensation, training and benefits, leave management and/or disability compliance in accordance with federal and state laws and guidelines that will ultimately contribute meaningfully to the goals and mission of the organization; provides exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
Example Of Duties
- Performs complex senior-level analytical work related to one or more areas within Human Resources including classification/compensation, recruitment/selection, or leave programs
- Provides guidance to other team members on complex human resources management projects and programs
- Analyzes various human resources problems and provides solutions
- Researches and writes responses to inquiries from executive officers, department heads, employees, and other sources regarding human resources practices of assigned area
- Conducts complex recruitment and selection processes for non-union and union-represented jobs, works with hiring department representatives to develop selection criteria and materials, creates recruitment and selection plan, and reviews and evaluates applications, resumes and other application materials
- Responds to departments′ complex classification and compensation requests and issues, recommends compensation adjustments, makes recommendations for allocation or reallocation of positions, and develops and updates job descriptions
- Performs complex functions specific to the administration of Metro′s Medical Leave, Family Medical Leave, Pregnancy Disability Leave, Reasonable Accommodation, Fitness-for-Duty, and Employee Assistance Program policies; assists with the management of non-occupational medical leave of absence cases that are over 30 days old and facilitates employees′ return to work
- Calculates and analyzes costs related to assigned area
- Conducts and responds to complex human resources surveys
- Investigates and resolves complex grievances and/or complaints from employees regarding human resources practices
- Communicates and interacts effectively with representatives, both internal and external of Metro, regarding various human resources policies, issues, etc.
- Prepares reports and memoranda for management and outside agencies
- Performs special projects as required
- Contributes to ensuring that the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policies and programs of Metro are carried out
May be required to perform other related job duties
Requirements For Employment
A combination of education and/or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Additional experience, as outlined below, may be substituted for required education on a year-for-year basis. A typical combination includes:Education
- Bachelor′s Degree in Business, Public Administration, or other related field
- Three years relevant experience in Human Resources; some positions in this class may require specialized experience in area of assignment
- A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
Preferred Qualifications (PQ′s) are used to identify relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA′s) as determined by business necessity. These criteria are considered preferred qualifications and are not intended to serve as minimum requirements for the position. PQ′s will help support selection decisions throughout the recruitment. In addition, applicants who possess these PQ′s will not automatically be selected.
- Experience conducting complex data analysis
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience utilizing HRIS systems such as Oracle EBS
- Exposure to various compensation systems and policies
- Theories, principles, and practices of human resources, especially as they relate to the assigned unit, e.g., recruitment, selection, compensation, workforce well-being, etc.
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations governing human resources management for a public agency
- EEO rules and regulations
- Collective bargaining agreements
- Research and report preparation methods
- Performing complex human resources work in a specialty area assigned
- Analyzing situations, identifying problems, and recommending solutions
- Exercising sound judgment and creativity in making conclusions and recommendations
- Researching, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data
- Communicating effectively orally and in writing
- Various forms of communication, including non-verbal, formal, informal, face-to-face, internet, etc.
- Interacting professionally with various levels of Metro employees and outside representatives
- Preparing comprehensive reports and correspondence
- Understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and labor/management agreements
- Meet tight time constraints and deadlines
- Handle highly confidential information
- Utilize applicable business software applications
- Compile and analyze data
- Apply mathematical computations and formulas
- Think and act independently
- Provide work direction and guidance to junior staff members
- Read, write, speak, and understand English
Applicants who best meet job-related qualifications will be invited to participate in the examination process that may consist of any combination of written, performance, or oral appraisal to further evaluate job-related experience, knowledge, skills and abilities.
To apply, visit Metro's website at www.metro.net and complete an online Employment Application.
Computers are available to complete online Employment Applications at the following Metro location:
METRO Headquarters, Employment Office
One Gateway Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Telephone: (213) 922-6217 or persons with hearing or speech impairments can use California Relay Service 711 to contact Metro.
All completed online Employment Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. (CM)
*Open to the public and all Metro employeesThis job bulletin is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.
Closing Date/Time: Open Until Filled
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.