Applications must be filled out completely. Please do not substitute "see resume or see personnel file" in the employment history section of the application.To receive first consideration in the screening process, candidates must submit a 1) City Employment Application,2) Resume,
and 3) Copy of Professional Engineer or Architect License in the State of California
no later than 4:00 p.m. on the filing date (January 30, 2020). Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
An incumbent in this class is responsible for checking building permit applications for residential, commercial and industrial construction, including reviewing construction, site plans and structural calculations that are submitted by architects, engineers, contractors and owners to ensure compliance with building codes and ordinances. This class will assist in supervising and training Plans Examiners, Inspectors and counter staff assigned to the Permit Center and is expected to perform as an expert and exercises considerable independent judgment in the performance of duties.
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee admittance into the examination process. Only the most qualified candidates who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will be invited to test. Candidates must attain a passing score on the examination process to qualify for the Eligible List. A department interview will be required prior to appointment.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following.
Under general supervision:
- Reviews plans, calculations, and specifications for commercial, industrial, residential, public, or other major developments for compliance with applicable codes and ordinances
- Assists in supervising and training Plans Examiners, Inspectors and counter staff assigned to the Permit Center
- Advises architects, engineers, designers, contractors, and developers on code and design requirements; reviews field investigation of building or land failures
- Provides recommendations for necessary emergency measures to protect property and public safety
- Provides technical support in complex code interpretations and approval of alternate materials and methods of construction
- Prepares and maintains records of plan checking activities
- Provides coordination between City departments and outside agencies involved in the permit process
- Represents Building Inspection at preconstruction meetings and other meetings as assigned
- Presents information to the public on Building Safety and other information as requested
- Prepares handouts and design guidelines for construction updates
- Attends seminars and training sessions to keep current on new industry trends and presents findings
- Assists in the preparation of monthly reports
- Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a related field
- Five (5) years of experience performing plan review as a Plans Examiner or equivalent with a city and/or county agency
- License as a Structural Engineer in the State of California is desirable.
- Possession of an appropriate, valid California driver's license is required.
- License as a Professional Engineer or Architect in the State of California is required.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within one year of hire, certification as a Plans Examiner by the International Code Council (ICC).
- Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job assignment.
- Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment background check, which may include employment verification, a DMV record check, a criminal history check and Department of Justice (DOJ) fingerprinting. Any information obtained will be used to determine eligibility for employment in accordance with the law. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction when required will result in disqualification from the recruitment process.
- A medical examination will be required prior to appointment.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
Incumbents in this position are required to file a Conflict of Interest statement upon assuming office, annually, and upon leaving office, in accordance with City Manager Directive 100.
PERMANENT CITY EMPLOYEES PREFERENCE POINTS:
Current permanent employee candidates who receive a passing score on the examination will have an additional five (5) points added to their final score
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of :
- Building codes and related State and local regulations
- Building permit processing and counter procedures
- Interrelationships of other City departments and outside agencies
- Structural engineering and architectural principles and practices applicable to all types of building construction
- Office safety practices, procedures and standards
- Principles of supervision and human resources administration
Ability to :
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Prepare written documents, such as code requirements and interpretation
- Effectively communicate need for design modifications with designers
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with architects, engineers, contractors, the public, and co-workers
- Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload and meet deadlines
- Walk or stand for extended periods of time
- Bend, stoop, reach, carry, climb and lift as necessary to perform assigned duties