Salary: $135,000 Annually
Apply By: Oct 20, 2019
Corporation Counsel - Peoria, Illinois (pop. 112,883) seeks dynamic legal counsel to lead the Legal Department (6 FTE) providing legal services for the municipal organization in an established, diverse, full service city located in the heart of the Midwest. Serves as legal counsel for the City of Peoria. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in a related field, supplemented by a Juris Doctorate and state license to practice law. A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible related experience is required. Strong interpersonal leadership and administrative skills required. Open, accessible, participatory management style with excellent communication skills essential. Appointed by City Manager. Salary is $135,000 +/- DOQ, with excellent benefits. City residency is required within one year of appointment. Additional information regarding the position can be found at http://www.peoriagov.org/internal-applications/. Position is open until filled with an initial screening date of September 13, 2019. Candidates should attach a résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references with their application.
The next Corporation Counsel for the City of Peoria can expect to be involved in handling the following:
- Continue to use cost benefit analysis methodology to determine drawbacks and/or benefits of in-house work versus contracting out legal services.
- Timely effective representation in negotiation and drafting of development and redevelopment agreements and annexation agreements.
- Provide labor and personnel advice in a challenging budgetary environment.
- Review current system and methodology for the recovery of City funds, including the collection of fines, with an eye toward increasing revenues where possible.
- Drafting legal opinions to the Council and City Manager.
- Be an effective and aggressive advocate for the best interests of the City of Peoria, as defined by the appointed and elected officials.
- Provide legal services to aid development in East Village Growth Cell and Warehouse TIF Districts.
- Work with other City Departments in providing information for proposed economic development projects.
- Provide timely legal opinions and advice in a reassuring and confident manner.
The City of Peoria is seeking proven and progressive Candidates committed to excellence in the field of municipal law. The following factors of education, experience, leadership and management style, and personal and professional traits have been identified as necessary and/or desirable for the Corporation Counsel to succeed in this position. The salary for the position is $135,000 +/- DOQ with excellent benefits. City residency within one year of appointment is required.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in a related field, supplemented by a Juris Doctorate; and a state license to practice law; and, ten or more years of progressively responsible experience is required.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration, local government management and business theory, practice and administration in order to oversee the planning and implementation of legal department functions.
- Extensive professional and managerial experience in all areas of municipal law including constitutional law, land use, zoning, civil rights, tort liability, public sector labor, personnel law, municipal finance and taxes, and transactional law.
- Ability to administer the department budget including goal setting and program budget development and implementation.
- Experience in assisting the City Manager and City Council in continuing to follow the standards of the Open Meeting Act and parliamentary procedures.
- Proven superior communication, interpersonal, and human relations skills; adeptness at interacting with people possessing a wide variety of attitudes and in a wide variety of situations.
- Superior skills in developing trust and effective partnerships with the City Manager, City Council, department heads, employees and other stakeholders.
- Proven track record of leading and delegating to a competent staff and fostering an attitude of teamwork and creativity in problem solving, while ultimately being accountable for the quality and effectiveness of overall departmental performance.
- Ability to manage key issues, initiatives and projects using a cross-functional approach; must have a complete understanding of the nature of cross-functional issues and initiatives in an organizational setting and the ramifications that department actions have on other departments within the organization.
- Ability to conduct studies, write in-depth reports, including writing, drafting, and researching legal opinions.
- Have extensive experience in the negotiation and drafting of development and redevelopment agreements.
- Have proven experience in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities in a team-oriented environment.
Salary is $135,000 +/- DOQ, with excellent benefits. City residency is required within one year of appointment. Additional information regarding the position can be found at http://www.peoriagov.org/internal-applications/. Position is open until filled with an initial screening date of September 13, 2019. Candidates should attach a résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references with their application.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.
Management Style/Personal Traits
- Demonstrated team-oriented, and participatory/collaborative style of leadership.
- Exhibit a style characterized by candor, directness, tactfulness, and diplomacy, with the ability to build consensus and find common ground for discussions, agreements, and partnerships.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and develop creative, innovative solutions to issues and problems.
- Demonstrated ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, elected officials, and public groups and respond to questions in a timely, clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to establishing and maintaining an open rapport with colleagues and staff members, valuing the talents and accomplishments of each individual.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering the professional growth and development of staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to encouraging creativity, responsibility and accountability in an environment that values a collaborative approach and embraces a setting where employees feel valued.
- Demonstrated flexible, adaptable and facilitative style with the ability to function effectively in a dynamic, demanding, team-oriented, professional environment marked by high expectation levels.
- Successfully model the leadership philosophy and core values of the organization.
- Demonstrated self-directed achiever with the ability to conceive and carry out effective strategies for implementing broad policy and goal directives as communicated by policy makers.
- Demonstrated commitment to the regular pursuit of professional and self-development opportunities.
- Demonstrated understanding and awareness of the political climate in which policy decisions are made.
- Be an effective delegator, allowing latitude to staff to carry out their responsibilities independently while remaining knowledgeable and accountable.
- Have a team-management orientation and the ability to work closely with relevant Peoria City departments, as well as other governmental agencies and Department employees in an effective, harmonious manner.
- Be “easily accessible” and approachable as a manager.
- Have complete personal and professional integrity, inspiring the confidence of appointed and elected officials, subordinates, and the general public.