311 Vernon Street Roseville, 95678 Description BUILDING PLANS EXAMINER IISALARY: $4910.15
monthly (26 pay periods annually)FINAL FILING DATE: Open Until Filled, with the first cutoff being Thursday, July 25, 2019.IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION
. THE POSITION
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the Regular and Full-time position of Building Plans Examiner II in the Development Services Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 -5 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere. DEFINITION
To perform duties related to reviewing and approving building construction plans ensuring compliance with pertinent codes and ordinances; and to provide assistance to the public with respect to permit process, code application, and code interpretation DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is the full journey level class in the Building Plans Examiner series and is distinguished from the I level by the ability to perform the full range of duties assigned with only occasional instruction or assistance as unusual or unique situations arise. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the I level. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor and may receive technical and functional supervision from the Building Inspection Supervisor. EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Examine construction documents for proposed structures for completeness and conformity with all codes and ordinances including structural, mechanical, electrical and energy calculations, safety and health features, use of material, placements in the property, and setbacks.
- Correct detected defects or inadequacies; by requiring that corrections be made to meet the requirements of pertinent City codes.
- Assist building permit applicants in completing applications; assist other departments and the public with researching and finding requested construction documents; research and answer questions at front counter and via phone and email.
- Determine plan examination, permit and other fees and valuation on plans submitted.
- Explain disapprovals or modification recommendations to applicants for permits.
- Confer with architects, engineers, contractors, owners and the general public on proposed projects to resolve problems.
- Coordinate with other departments on project requirements.
- Make field investigations of structural problems, covering failures, instability, proper installation of unusual designs, materials or equipment, and other unsafe conditions; prepare reports and make recommendations on solutions.
- Develop informational handouts/checklists related to plan check requirements for public distribution.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public, using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
In addition to the qualifications of Plans Examiner I: Knowledge of :
Ability to :
- Principles and techniques of building plan examination work.
- Principles of structural design and engineering mathematics.
- Accepted safety standards and methods of building construction for commercial, industrial, and residential buildings.
- Research methods and sources of information related to building code enforcement.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING Experience :
- Apply technical knowledge and follow proper examination techniques.
- Detect deviations from plans, regulations, and standard construction practices.
- Read and interpret complex building plans, specifications, and building codes.
- Advise on requirements for residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
- Provide technical assistance to other building examination staff in assigned area of specialization.
- Enforce necessary regulations with firmness and tact.
- Determine whether construction systems conform to City code requirements.
- Two years of increasingly responsible building plan examination experience similar to that of a Building Plans Examiner I with the City of Roseville, which includes at least one (1) year as an I.C.C. certified Building Plans Examiner.
License or Certificate :
- Completion of thirty units from an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering, architecture or a related field. (Note: An additional one (1) year of experience performing as an I.C.C. certified Building Plans Examiner can substitute for the thirty units from an accredited college or university.)
- Possession of a valid California driver's license by the date of appointment.
- Possession of a valid I.C.C. certificate as a Building Plans Examiner by the date of appointment.
- Your responses to questions 2-4, the applicant's education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the "Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your "Work Experience" section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
- Was any of the work experience listed on your application an unpaid internship, or volunteer work? If so, please list below which ones.
- How many years of experience do you have performing plan checks on residential and commercial projects?
- Less than 2 years
- 2-3 Years
- 3-4 Years
- 4-5 Years
- 5+ Years
- Please provide a detailed list of your certifications by the International Code Council (I.C.C.) and the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (I.A.P.M.O.) as well as any California Specific Certifications you may hold. Please list the certification, year obtained and expiration date.
- Please detail your experience in performing plan review on one and two family dwelling projects.
- Please detail your experience in performing plan review for commercial projects.
- On a typical Patio cover plan review please describe two structural details that are needed for plan approval and permit issuance.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant's experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION. Benefits
For more information regarding the City's benefits, visit our website at here
. This position is in Local 39. Special Instructions
First cut off, Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 5 pm.Recruitment Contact
Contact email: email@example.com